Workers’ Compensation

Illinois employers are required to provide three (3) basic workers’ compensation benefits to most employees who are injured on the job. The employer is required to provide:

  1. medical care that is necessary for the employee to recover from an injury;
  2. wage replacement benefits while an employee is recovering from the injury;
  3. benefits to employees who suffer a serious injury as a result of the incident at work.

In addition, an employee may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation if they are unable to return to their regular job.

Medical Treatment/Bills

Your employer is required to pay for 100% of the reasonable costs of any medical treatment including, but not limited to, care from a hospital, physician, chiropractor or physical therapist that is reasonably necessary to your recovery. These services are to be processed and paid for through Workers’ Compensation, not through your regular medical insurance.

Temporary Total Disability Benefits (TTD)

You are entitled to receive weekly wage replacement benefits, referred to as “temporary total disability benefits (TTD)”, if you have been off work more than three days following an on-the-job injury. TTD, which is paid in lieu of your regular salary, is computed at 2/3 of your regular pay and is tax free. If you are off two full weeks or more, you will retroactively be paid in full for the first three days.

Compensation for the Injury

You may also be eligible for additional compensation for your injury. Illinois has a complicated system for evaluating the amount of compensation to which an individual may be entitled. You may be compensated for the injury to a particular part of your body, or reduction in your overall functional capacity, or your inability to earn the same amount of money you earned prior to the injury, or any disfigurement you suffer

Vocational or Occupational Rehabilitation

If you are unable to return to your job, the Board may be required to pay for treatment, instruction, and training necessary for your physical, mental, and vocational rehabilitation. In addition, it may be liable to compensate you while you are participating in this rehabilitation.

What do I do if I am injured on the job?

An employee who is injured on the job should report the injury immediately, or as soon as possible, to their supervisor. All incidents must be reported within 45 days of the occurrence.

When should I call an attorney?

After a workers compensation injury, you should contact us in any of the following circumstances:

  1. Your workers compensation claim has been denied or delayed.
  2. Your employer or its workers compensation insurance company asks you to provide a tape-recorded statement.
  3. You receive a letter requiring you to attend an Independent Medical Evaluation (a doctor chosen by the workers compensation insurance company).
  4. Your employer fires you, or puts you on permanent layoff, after your workers compensation injury.
  5. You are unable to return to your work due to the permanent restrictions.
  6. When your doctor advises you that you have reached your maximum medical improvement and you want help in negotiating an appropriate settlement for your injury.

Workers' Compensation, Disability, BenefitsFor more information, download our Workers’ Compensation, Assault Leave, Disability Leave and Benefits booklet for members of the Chicago Teachers Union.